Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Olympics - Sochi 2014

Watching the Olympics has always been a somewhat "big" thing in my family. Since young, we've always gathered around the TV during the two weeks of competition, and of course, rooted for our Canadian athletes. We followed all the news and updates, and felt every victory as well as every disappointment. So it was only natural when we had the amazing opportunity to host the Olympics in our very own backyard four years ago... that we'd go nuts attending as many events and celebrated and partied with the rest of the world. And gosh, I don't regret any of it. It was an experience that I totally embraced and it's now become an incredible memory of mine.

Now that it's been four years, (still can't believe it's been four years!), and once again watching the Olympics through our TV screen, it brings back all the fond memories of Vancouver 2010. I could go on. Sochi 2014 has so far had its many great moments, as listed in this article. I'm proud to be Canadian. But just as important, I love that even for if just a moment, that the world (if even just parts), can come together and exhibit such passion and comradery. (If that makes sense...).

One thing I wanted to say about today's men's figure skating competition though. Patrick Chan wins silver. Trending articles about him coming so close to gold, and his own disappointment in his performance and his apology to his country are going around. (As well as Joannie Rochette's tweet. Which in my opinion, can only be interpreted one way...).

I really wish instead of disappointment, he could just let himself bask in the glory of medalling! How many people can even make it to the Olympics, let alone medal? Even though the story of Denny Morrison (and Gilmore Junio) winning silver in speed skating is very different, watching them literally go to the moon and back from the joy they felt from his silver medal was amazing. And Patrick Chan's silver was no less! What was more unfortunate than his mistakes and falls that costed him the gold medal, was the amount of pressure that he carried had prevented him from living his moment of celebration. I know... there will always be an argument about it. "Well, he should handle pressure better." But really, who can even imagine what these top-performing athletes go through not just physically, but also mentally and emotionally. So he choked. So did the gold medalist. Choking is a part of the competition and doesn't make any athlete less of a champion in my opinion.

Nonetheless, that's my two cents. Can you tell that I get so wrapped up in the Olympic spirit? I love it.

Go, Canada, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment