Saturday, March 10, 2012

Family Funnies

Grandma stood in the doorway of the bathroom watching me pluck my eyebrows. After a few minutes of it, she finally said something.

"You're lucky that you have such nice eyebrows."

I was surprised to hear. Frankly, I've always hated my eyebrows, but that's another topic for another day and certainly not claiming to sound like I hate everything about myself.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, you draw them on so nice. It looks so full."

"I don't draw my eyebrows on!".

"THOSE ARE REAL??!!".

"Uhh, yes. They are real. All real. Not drawn on. Not coloured in. Just all eyebrows."

"Well, are you really my granddaughter?? I don't even have eyebrows." (Which is true... hers are so "dainty" that you can barely see them).

As funny as it all sounds, I have an inkling my grandma said all those things on purpose as a compliment. That's one thing about her that doesn't make her fit in a typical Asian family. Or, safer to say... not typical of my family. Y'see, corret me if I'm wrong, but most Asian families are not open to throw compliments of any sort. Instead, it's quite the opposite. They'll point out all that is wrong with you. Compare you to others. Maybe it's all suppose to be more humbling.

But grandma here... she loves to make me feel ... perfect the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment