Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gotta Love That ShumBum

Oh shit, it's 1:20am April 25th and I haven't texted Shum. It's almost a ritual. Right at midnight, you text the birthday person and wish them a happy birthday. That's what we do. That's what my friends do. So, I was a tad, in our books, belated. I didn't get a response so I decided to text her again in the afternoon.

Happy Birthday, muffy sis! A nickname that has stuck since highschool. We had a pair of matching, fuzzy grey ear muffs ('cause you know how bone-chilling cold it gets in Vancouver! - sarcasm intended, just to show that highschoolers always somehow waste their money that they don't have buying things they don't need). We called each other "muffy sisters" because of our matching ear muffs. And to this day, in our 30's, we still call each other "muffy sis". 

She texted back. Thank you, muffy! I just got out of the spa. I'm all relaxed. Now I'm going to PC to do some shopping. What are you doing tonight? 

I skimmed right over the letters "PC", and didn't even realize that she's in town. Not much, I replied.

Wanna Cheurng K?? , she asked.

You're in town?!. 


By the time I got home from work, ate dinner and waited for Shum to be ready, it was already 10pm. "Cheurng K" (karaoke) never lasts just an hour. I couldn't imagine getting home late and getting up for work again the next day. I'm old like that now. Seems hard to go out late on a work night. I suggested we just go out for drinks.

I picked her up, and as usual, we began to chat up a storm like nobody's business. We headed in the direction of Richmond for perhaps some bubbletea, but once we got there, I felt ... I cannot say no to the birthday girl. So, we ended up at karaoke.

We busted out our songs of Bruno Mars, Adele and even Simple Plan. And like I made her promise me, we left after an hour. We ended up back at her place in record time. Which was perfect. Giving me plenty of time to get ready for bed.

But in the car, we chatted. And chatted. And chatted. And soon, it was already 1am. Shum's birthday was officially over. It's been a while since our last girlie heart to heart. And it was great. Our girl talks are always one of my favorite times.

It is now 2am. For this week, that's way past my bedtime. But, to spend some extra time with a close friend you hardly see and lose a little sleep over it... it's all well worth it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Birthday, Muffy Sis!!

No comments:

Post a Comment