Monday, June 10, 2013

Ivories


The very last time I was at all serious about playing the piano was probably in 2007 when I played at my cousin's wedding ceremony. Since then, I've somewhat neglected it. I would occasionally play the odd song here and there, especially Christmas carols during Christmas... but that is really about it.

When I started tinkling around with the keys today, trying to provide some noise for baby Sarah to bop to, I thought perhaps I should whip out some old stuff and play it. When I got home, I took out my binder for the playlist we put together for my cousin's wedding, and I played through the entire list. From Jesu Joy, to Canon in D, to L-O-V-E, and to songs from the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack.

Good thing I purchased this Yamaha Clavinova (as my graduation present to myself nine years ago), because then I can play whenever I want. With the headphone plugged in, nobody else is disturbed by the noise. So I banged away at the keys, and swayed to the music. Even though it's been so long, it comes flowing back to my fingertips. Fingers are a little stiff, but I think I still got my skills with sight reading. And just like that, I was in the zone. Just like it did before, I ended up in my own little world, wrapped in my own music.

No comments:

Post a Comment