Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Part Of Life - My Life

I have no doubt in my mind if you were to ask me what is the most important in my life. My family and friends. Even health and wealth are meaningless without them. And I have to say that I've been completely blessed with having the people that I do in my life. They make my world. My happiest days wouldn't be as happy if they weren't a part of it.

So, you could only imagine what this past weekend meant to me. 

I got to witness one of my long time highschool friend get married. She was absolutely gorgeous in her white gown and evening dress. I couldn't help but get teary watching someone whom I've known since we were teenagers enjoying one of the happiest days of her life. The reception was a gather of old friends and new. Friends from highschool who no longer live in the same city flew back to attend the wedding. It became kind of like a highschool reunion. Faces I've seen for many years and will probably continue to see from time to time for years to come. I love it. I love watching these people I've grown up with walk their own paths and come back to cross paths again to catch up. Nonetheless, there was something so very dear to my heart about celebrating a special day with an old friend. I live for these moments. And as the night quickly came to an end, I only got a brief moment to talk to the bride and congratulate her. She said softly and apologetically, "I'm sorry. We didn't get a chance to talk." Understandable. Even though all I really wanted to do was sit down with her at bubble tea, like we always do, and tell her how beautiful her wedding day really was, I whispered back, "Don't worry. We'll talk soon."

I went home that night hoping to hit the sack because I was beat, but instead, I whipped out my Cricut machine and scrapbook paper and went to town. One of my best friends texted me a photo of a kid's birthday party banner that she wanted for her daughter's birthday. I knew I could make it so I offered to help. It's just unfortunate that time wasn't on my time, and I can't seem to get enough of it. So there I was, 1am in the morning, trying to pump out this banner as quick as I can (as her birthday was the next day). Not to mention I had stayed up till 3am the night before working on other decorations for the party. When it was all done, I was super satisfied. And honestly, I was more than excited to show my friend how it turned out. Finally when I got to hit the sack at 4am, the sun was already peaking out in the sky. I didn't get to sleep much.

The next morning, I woke up to load my car of party supplies, and picked up my friend to help set up the party before the guests arrived. I switched to autopilot mode, and along with many great friends, we put up the decorations in no time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't beyond exhausted. But, I would do it over and over and over again. I do it because of the same reason other people also pitched in to help. That's what friends are for. We all love her. There was something even more special than watching S turn one. I felt so much love within my group of friends. People who never fail to be there for you when you need them. In good times. And in bad...

With the news of a friend of a close friend passing away today after a very short battle with cancer, it took only a couple of phone calls before my friends and I whipped ourselves into a car, and drove over to be with her. We sat there in her living room... reminiscing on memories. Through tears. Through laughter. Through silence. 

It was a gorgeous day out with the sun shining. The heat warming up our skin. Yet, inside all of us, there was a piece of sadness today. We took an afternoon stroll together and knew this very moment was precious to us. The same friends who spent hours helping put together a kid's birthday party, were now helping support a friend in mourning. Life is fragile. And so short. There will inevitably come a time in our lives when we will grieve. Even through this moment of feeling sadness and unfairness, I think we also achieved a sense of calmness. Because we have each other. 

Lastly for this weekend, I got to see J. In between all of the "chaos" of celebrations and sadness, (and his busy schedule), I'm glad we made time to see each other. I was exhausted and desperately needing sleep, but I wouldn't trade anything in the world to miss... the way I felt when he hugged me, the way I felt when he kissed me, and the way I felt when I saw the way him smiles every time he sees me.

No comments:

Post a Comment