Sunday, July 6, 2014

Old Friends

Gosh, it's been a while. It's been a whirlwind... but a whirlwind of good times. Hopefully, with the great weather we've been having this summer, it'll continue this way. Well... I really don't know where to start with all the re-capping. I'm still trying to readjust back to normalcy. And let me tell ya... it's been a couple months of everything but. But hey, that's what makes up life. Keeping very busy with mainly spending a whole lot of time with family and friend stuff.

Last week, I had the pleasure of watching one of my long-time childhood friend get married. It was at Science World right by False Creek, and with the sun setting in the background, it just couldn't have been a more perfect night. I, of course, was so happy for the two lovebirds, and especially happy seeing one of my close friends enjoying one of the best days of her life... but to me, it was also something more than that.

I'm grateful everyday to have been able to build such strong bonds with the close friends I've met in life so far. I mean... gosh, if I could be a little nostalgic here... who would have guessed when I met Wendy in our grade 2 class that 26 years later, I'd be standing next to her at her wedding? We were seven when we met. Who builds lifelong friendships starting at the age of seven? Well, I guess I do. It amazes me still... that I've been able to grow up with some of my friends from elementary school...  who aren't so much just my friends anymore... but have become "family".

At the rehearsal dinner, I chatted up with her brother and her parents, as if it was just yesterday when I saw them last probably at her 12th birthday party. We may have all aged a little, but we seemed exactly the same. I love it. I love how some people show up again somehow in life... and you reconnect like it was old times. And this was very much the friendship that Wendy and I have.

After elementary school, we didn't attend the same highschool. We didn't attend the same university either. In fact, soon after that, Wendy lived in a different country across the world. But still, through the decades, I have walked over to her highschool from mine after classes, and we'd bum together on the bleachers at her school gym. We've taken the bus together for a part of the way when we were to university. And I flew to Japan to visit her when she lived there for a good five years. In between, we didn't have to say much. We always picked up wherever we left off.

So, even though the night of her wedding, after a quick shower, I was so exhausted that I fell asleep with the lights still on in my room, it was all so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment