Sunday, October 5, 2014

Pear Tart


Fall and Winter months means spending more time on baking. When it's cooler outside, all I want to do is fire up the oven, bake up a storm, and wait for the heavenly aromas to fill the air. Perfect pairing with a cup of tea. I love summer, but I've also been looking forward to whipping out my scarf collection and changing up my wardrobe to cozy sweaters. Watching the leaves on the trees change to gorgeous orange and red hues is also on my Fall favorites list. Along with baking. 

I love cooked (poached or baked) pears. With the crazy number of hours I spend looking up and studying recipes, (trust me... it's probably my biggest time waster), I've come to find a whole lot of pastry recipes that require way too many techniques, steps, and wait-time. As much as I'd love to learn those things too, for the most part, I simply don't have the time. Easy, simple and tasty are the recipes I love to collect. 

Will post the recipe up later. Just about to run out the door for an afternoon coffee with dad. See, I simply don't have the time!


Edited to include recipe : 


Adapted from Real Simple magazine :


Ingredients

1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan, at room temp
1 c. AP flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. sugar, plus 1 1/2 tbsp 
1 large egg
2 to 3 bosc pears, peeled, halved and cored ( can use canned)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c. apricot preserve
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
whipped cream (optional)

Preparation 

1. Heat oven to 350F
2. Butter a 14-inch rectangular tart pan and set aside.
3. Combine the flour and baking powder in medium bowl and set aside.
4. Using electric mixer, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar at high speed in a large bowl. Lower speed to medium, add egg, and beat until incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture until fully incorporated. Dough will be soft.
5. Push dough into pan with floured fingers to form even crust. Arrange pear halves, top to bottom, cut-side down. Sprinkle with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Bake until crust is golden brown (45 minutes).
6. Heat apricot jam and lemon juice in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and brush gently over cooled tart. 

(Tart can be prepared and stored at room temp, loosely covered with foil, up to 1 day in advance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment