Saturday, October 11, 2014

Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving - from my family to yours!

Dad decided to make the turkey and stuffing, while I made all the trimmings. I decided to go super heck simple (as always) so that I won't be in some sort of frantic mess at the end of it all, and still be able to enjoy dinner. Thanksgiving isn't about the fancies anyway. So, I made a super easy three-bean salad, classic mashed potatoes, and butter carrots.

Recipe for three-bean salad :

Green beans cut up and blanched
1/2 can of red kidney beans
1/2 can of cannellini beans
1/2 shallot, chopped
olive oil
dijon mustard
honey
chopped parsley
chopped basil
salt and pepper

This could have been a disaster of a Thanksgiving. Well, sort of. If you want to be dramatic about it. We had the turkey in the oven for a couple of hours. Dad decided to get off the couch in between to go baste the big bird, when he noticed that the oven was awfully bright. The element in the oven was on fire! The turkey was only half cooked. Dad goes "Oh well", and suggests we cut up the turkey and microwave it in sections. I'm looking at him like that can't even be an option! So, my dad... always being the one to please his sometimes rather stubborn and demanding daughter, runs out to the nearest Rona's, and buys the part to fix the oven. Within half an hour, the oven was back up and running, and the turkey continued to bake. It came out perfectly. (Thank goodness for a dad who's such an awesome handyman).

Because it's Thanksgiving, I got to give thanks. I am most thankful for my family and friends. My health. And just each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment