Thursday, January 8, 2015

Chickpea & Cabbage Soup



Gosh, I cannot seem to kick this nasty cough that I have, which has been taking a toll on my quality of sleep. The fatigue I feel from working shift work, and the lack of sleep, is causing every muscle and bone in my body to ache. Not a good feeling. Trying to shake it off, and wait it out, but it doesn't seem to be happening quickly.

So, in the meanwhile, more homemade soup to sooth the soul. A small moment of bliss when I finally get to sit down after a long day of working on my feet, and getting something warm (and nutritious) in my tummy. This one is another good one. Comfort food at its best.

2 carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 of a cabbage, shredded
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup of rice
4 cups of broth ( I used vegetable, preferably homemade but boxed is fine)
3 cups water
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill

1) Saute onions with a bit of olive oil until translucent. Then add garlic, dash of salt and pepper and saute for another minute.
2) Add the rice, carrots, and cabbage along with the broth and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring it down to a simmer, and add chick peas. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3) Once all is tender, stir in fresh dill. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Adapted from Post Punk Kitchen's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment