Saturday, January 3, 2015

Everything Vegetable Soup


It's now two years in a row where I am sick on New Year's Eve and for the few days following. Ahh, the holidays are great but it just may be too much for my aging body to handle. Who knows. So, rather than basking in all the warm and fuzzies of the holidays, I am finding myself counting down the days back to nomalcy and looking forward to snuggle time with my blanket and bed. And for self-inflicted busybody me, it takes getting the flu to give me the excuse to slow down and just chill.

Even on a good day, I crave a yummy homemade vegetable soup packed with vegetables. A lot of good soups I find has to have carrot, celery and onion as its base. I also found some frozen peas and frozen homegrown tomatoes in the freezer, and some green beans in the fridge. Top it all off with some starchy potatoes and the soup is just perfect for when you're feeling a bit under the weather.

For my own reference:

1 medium sized onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 russet potato, diced
1/2 cup green beans chopped
3 frozen large homegrown tomatoes, chopped
3 cups stock (homemade or boxed)
3 cups water

Brown onion, celery, and carrots until soften.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
Bring it down to a simmer and simmer until harder vegetables are soft, about 20-25 minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment