Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Day Of Surprises


(Mobile photo dump)

I'll be honest and say that a lot of morning shifts are not my favorite. I'm just not a morning person. Or so, I always thought. I do get some mornings where I wake up feeling like I got up on the right side of the bed... even though knowing that everyday, I always get up on the same side of the bed. Can't say today was totally one of those days (I'm still not a morning person after all)... but I was chipper enough to notice the beautiful sky on my way to work. I quickly grabbed my phone and took this shot. I felt the need to capture it... especially when the forecast for the next few days is showing a definite switch into Fall, rainy weather.



To my surprise, I got two visitors at work right before my lunch break.  I hadn't eaten much of a breakfast in the morning, so I was starving. An ex-coworker had dropped off a box of Tim Horton's donuts when she visited the pharmacy the night before, and I caved in and ate half of a chocolate glazed donut. (Unlike me to pass up on my favorite - which is the crueller). I swore to myself that would be my only sugar treat for the day. Of course, when you swear yourself to anything... there always happens to be a greater chance to break that promise. Shum and Ben dropped off this box for me. It was still warm. Inside was... 


...a blackberry pear walnut pie. Yes, it is as amazing as it sounds. If I had to choose a favorite pie of mine right now, this would be it. Not too sweet. Tartness from the berries. Whole, chunky pieces of pear. And a great compliment with the addition of crunchy walnuts. If I'm in the mood for pie, I'm getting another one of these. Thank you, thank you! I didn't need the pie to warm me up... the thought of friends thinkin' about ya unexpectedly is all I need.


The surprises didn't stop there. My Italian neighbours (whom I've lived next to all my life, 'cept for the 3 years I lived out of town) came over with an entire homemade pizza, a bottle of homemade wine, a bottle of champagne, and a box of Italian baked goods. They were in Italy last month when my dad turned 65. So, they wanted to make up for missing it. It was seriously one of the sweetest things a neighbour could do. 


These were from Calabria Bakery. And amazing too.

So, I totally broke my promise of the Tim Horton's donuts being my only sweet treat for the day. But worth making my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment