Monday, September 30, 2013

Life And Death

I got a frantic text message last night at 1am that read, "If you are awake, call me within 15 minutes." I had missed the message and didn't get it until later, but I already knew what the urgency was about. I texted her back in the middle of the night, "Do you have an announcement?".

And at 6am, I got a reply back saying, "YES! I'm engaged!!". 

I've known her since I was 7. So you could only imagine my excitement when I heard the news. Although it was already much anticipated. And with the technology nowadays, I was able to keep in contact with her and our friends while we were all at work through the day... all sharing our own bouts of excitement about her news with each other. 

Another friend has reached another milestone in her life. A life changing one. And it's amazing. Moments we live for. And to share with one another. Makes everything worth it. 

Once I got home, as I was trying to quickly change into my home clothes before I plop myself down to pick up the phone to call her about her engagement story, as we all know it would be a long one... I had clicked open Facebook. And through moments of organizing myself, I quickly caught a glance at a status line of a friend. His father had suddenly passed away from a cardiac arrest yesterday. My heart sank from the feeling of elation. I couldn't even begin to imagine what he's going through. 

I picked up the phone and dialed my friend's number to hear about her engagement. Her voice was filled with happiness. Couldn't help but bring a smile to my face. I laughed and "awwed" at her every sweet detail of her story. I could feel her floating on cloud nine. I told her I couldn't wait to see her in person and go through the story again. In different details. And to see her ring. Every girl must gawk at each other's rings. I hung up after many reminders to her to not forget to at least send me a picture of her ring. 'Cause I cannot wait till next week when I see her to see it. 

After I got off the phone, I went on fb and sent my condolences to my other friend. These polar emotions have me feeling bits of sadness, gratefulness, excitement, and life. All mixed in together. Which has somehow inspired me to write. Growing up, I was taught how to be a good person. One with a kind and caring heart. I was taught how study hard and do well in school. I was taught how to care about myself and care for others. I was taught how to be independent. But through life lessons, I was never really officially taught about life and death. I'm learning now as I grow older that the contrast between life and death are taught through experience. An inevitable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment