Thursday, December 19, 2013

Faith


I was trying to think of a word to sum up this post for its title. About the past few weeks. Some I've told would know that the past few weeks has been a tough few for me. I'll leave the irrelevant details out, but the only thing that's helped salvage my spirit is keeping up with the Christmas festivities. This time of the year is obviously my favorite time of the year. And it has again proven, this year, why.

At a time of lows, and my holding my breath and walking like I am on eggshells, I really wasn't in the spirit to do much at all until "this time too shall pass". But concentrating not on the lows, but rather, trying to find gifts for those I love, has brought me such joy... as it always has every year. The mall madness didn't seem to bother me. Nor did the line-ups or the seventh time I've been to Metrotown this month. Nothing, especially so small, could have bothered me. Nothing compared to my real worries. Instead, it helped fill my heart, as I patiently sift through stores and racks for the best gifts. It was unexpectedly rather therapeutic. I am now done my shopping list, and feeling pretty proud of myself for being prepared.

I've already crossed off four Christmas parties off my 2013 party list, and they've all been greatly successful. I had an amazing time with my friends, and seriously am thankful everyday for having them in my life. They've been super supportive, and well... who can resist all the laughs we have every time we get together? It was just what I needed. And also the very reason why I love Christmas. More on the parties later.

While at work, flu shots and the shingle vaccine have continued to fly off the shelf. I had the privilege to meet an amazing elderly couple while I gave them their Zostavax (shingles vaccine). Mr. H is 90, and Mrs. is 86. Both on a couple of high blood pressure medications, and Mrs. walks with a walker, but other than that, they are pretty darn healthy. They drove in to their appointment that day, and had plans to get some photos developed after their vaccinations, they told me. The conversation led me to ask Mr. H, "I have to ask... you're doing so well at 90. How do you do it?".

Mr. H replied, "Well, I can't take all the credit. I have a wonderful family, a loving wife, and I have a lot of faith. In fact, faith carried me through life."

Ahh, faith. A part of me at that moment felt like, ahh... I get it. When things happen that are out of my control, I turn to faith too. When there is nothing I could do to make it better, I just gotta believe that I'm in good hands. As I've believed in the past few weeks.

Please don't get me wrong as I keep this post so cryptic. It's been tough, but I didn't say it's been bad. Sure it's been stressful, but it doesn't mean I haven't been happy. When it rains, it pours sometimes... but doesn't mean that there aren't sunny days to follow. I never get angry or upset when there's a storm. Just waiting it out.

Someone said to me recently, "You know... you're pretty amazing. You know that?".

I laughed and replied, "Yah, of course. I know I am. Hahah. I'm kidding."

They then said while walking away, "Well, I'm not kidding. I'm actually glad to hear that. Sometimes I really wish you could see that in yourself."

Those words struck a chord in me. I believe I'm a good person. But amazing? Hmm... perhaps I gotta have a little more faith in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment