Thursday, November 21, 2013

Spicy Corn and Chicken Chili


I write about the snippets of life that are good. This is about the Christmases in a cup after all. But, both you and I know we all have trying days. This week has been filled with many of those for very personal family reasons. But instead of letting it all get to me, I channel my emotions and energy elsewhere. One of a few ways I do that is through cooking. 

So, it is almost midnight. Everyone in the house has pretty much retired to their own rooms, and  that's when I'll whip out a soup pot. And I'll begin to chop. There is something therapeutic about cooking.  Following a recipe or not. Mindlessly measuring out spices and chopping vegetables. Whatever it may be. I always find myself in a comforting hum-drum. It's my "me" time at its best. Tonight, I decided to whip up a good pot of chili to fit the cold weather we've been having. 

After it is all done, I'll play around with the food. Propping white cardboard around it to "bounce light". Then, I'll climb onto a chair so I can get on top of my creation with my camera. If you walk into my kitchen at this very moment, you'll probably find the whole set-up a little strange. I wasn't cooking to eat.

When I was done with the photos, I took the bowl of chili and dumped it back in the pot.  Then comes the pattern of washing the dishes, turning off the lights, washing up and then going to bed. It actually a pretty common thing for me to do at midnight. It is then the peacefulness inside me is restored.


This chili recipe was very easy to make, and it tastes fantastic. If you want an easy and quick chili recipe, give this one a try.

I adapted this recipe from Whole Foods Mobile App. 

Spicy Corn and Chicken Chili 

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp gr. cumin
1 tsp gr. coriander
cayenne pepper to taste
1 lb gr. chicken breast
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup mild or medium salsa
1 cup frozen corn
1 can kidney beans
1/3 cup chopped cilantro


1. In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat, and add onions and garlic. cook for 5 mins until onions are translucent. 
2. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, and cayenne and cook for 1 min.
3. Add chicken and cook for 3 mins. 
4. Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water, salsa, kidney beans and corn. Season with salt and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 mins. 
6. Then stir in cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment