Thursday, January 30, 2014

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


Those who know me know that I am not a morning person. Don't get me wrong. I love mornings. If I have a purpose for getting up early, I can spring out of bed. When the weather is nice, I enjoy the cool, crisp air when the sun is just starting to peek out. Mornings are just as much of a favorite as night especially when camping outdoors because that cool, crisp air is doubly enjoyable when you're out in the woods amongst the trees. Cooking a hearty, warm breakfast outdoors on a propane stove, while bundled up in fleece because the sun wasn't quite out yet... those are some of my favorite morning moments. There's more. But... I am not a morning person. 

While I can enjoy a good morning, don't bother trying to talk to me. I am not ready to break out into a chat about weekend plans when my voice has barely cracked open. As much as I have fond memories of cooking hearty breakfasts on camping trips and vacation, it isn't something I love to do before a morning shift at work, especially after realizing I'm running late because I chose to sleep an extra ten minutes. And that happens every. single. morning. shift. My head is still in a fog when I'm trying to remember "lunch, keys, smock, phone, etc" before I head out the door. So...

That's why I needed these. There are mornings when even buttering a piece of toast takes way too long. I wanted a grab-and-go breakfast, but I usually want something with a bit of ... substance. Fibrous. That will fill me up. Morning shifts can be harsh... they're usually crazy busy and I don't get a break until almost 2pm. I've tried a yogurt and banana, and by noon, my stomach is yellin', "Hey! Give me something else!". 


Kat gave me a couple bags of chocolate chips which are perfect for adding a bit of sugar and energy into these muffins. Bananas are always good for the mornings. And the flax is great for fiber and bulk. So here is my now go-to recipe for some morning breakfast banana chocolate chip muffins to grab-and-go. 






The recipe was taken off of allrecipes.com : 

3/4 cup white sugar 
6 tbsp butter, softened
6 tbsp ground flax seed 
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
t tsp baking soda
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
2. Beat sugar, butter, flax seed, vanilla and eggs together in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
3. Sift flour, salt, and baking soda together in separate bowl. Mix creamed mixture 1/2 cup at a time, until batter is stiff. Beat bananas into batter with electric mixer on low. Fold chocolate chips and walnut into batter. Fill each cup 3/4 full. 
4. Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in tins before removing to cool on a wire rack. 

I really enjoyed these muffins. My brother... not so much. He said they were a little on the "dry" side. I personally think he's mistaken the dryness with the "bulk". I grounded the flax seeds myself, and they probably weren't ground down to the finest powder, which weren't my intentions anyway. But the flax added texture to the muffins, which I think made the muffins heartier. Perfect for my breakfast needs. Not so much for someone who's looking for a fluffy dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment