Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Active

I'll be honest. I haven't been going to yoga class. With my favorite workout classes on Monday and Wednesday nights, I've been missing them all the past couple of weeks. I've been scheduled to work night shifts those days. I cancelled my requests to get Mondays off early because I find working early shifts at the beginning of the week meant I was mostly doing closing shifts at the end of the week. Night shifts most Fridays and Saturdays? Ehh... no thanks. But I figured I'd get some early shifts that land on kundalini yoga days. Oh well.

What I have been doing is playing this EA game called Active. (Hey, bro got it for free at work and is doing it everyday... so why not). At first, I thought it was pretty easy peasy. Half an hour workouts that include the warm-up and the cool down?? Compared to kundalini classes that are and and a half hour long, it really seemed like nothing. But surprisingly, a lot of stuff they do in Active is very similiar to things we do in yoga. As the game goes on from day to day though, it's getting more tough. The heartbeat's up and the sweat comes trickling down my forehead. I was a bit skeptical with this whole exercising video game thing, but it's actually pretty good. It helps chart your weight, heart rate as you go, and your movements. It records how long you've been working out and shows which part of the body you've been working on (allowing you to cycle through every different muslces in your body). Nothing about it is super accurate, but who cares? As long as you're moving and going and off the couch, then it's all good. It also allows you to make up your own workout if you don't feel like following their program. It plays beaty music during the workout and relaxing music during your cool down, and your instructor is teaching from some tropical place. Anyway,  my dad also went out and bought some fitness game for the Kinect too. Who needs to leave the house now? Hah...

There is one thing that is the same between my yoga class and Active. While everyone is sticky and wet, my instructors don't seem to break a sweat.

2 comments:

  1. you should get Just Dance 2. It's such a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have that but I do have Dance Central for the Kinect. It's also a workout!

    ReplyDelete