Saturday, February 5, 2011

Vancouver Symphony Orchestra - Concert #1

For Christmas, my cousin got me a Symphony Sampler from the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra that consists of four concerts that we can choose from a list of concerts. Tonight, we went to our first pick.

One thing that I'm super grateful for with my parents putting me through all those classes that I went through as a kid is piano. I loved it (even though I never practiced it). I took lessons every week for a good 17 years before I had to call it quits (moved away from my piano teacher of 17 years and couldn't fathom finding a replacement).  I didn't know it then, but the theory classes that went along with piano lessons have taught me to really appreciate music so much more. It's not just about the skill of playing or the ability of reading music, but to really understand the life and style of composers and learn about the different music eras has really made me love music that much more. So, of course, I was over the moon with these tickets to the VSO!

I'm also lucky to have someone who enjoys it just as much as I do (if not more). My cousin and I have the same taste in music and I think enjoy it equally as much... which makes her a great partner to attend all these concerts and shows.



The beautiful Orpheum


Nareh Arghamanyan, the pianist, was AMAZING. She left my cousin and I both awestruck. We kept exchanging looks with each other... is she for real?! . Her fingers flew across the piano keys so effortlessly. And if you've also done music theory, you'd know that Liszt wrote difficult pieces. If only I could play like that! The orchestra was phenomenal. Our seats gave us a good view of each component. The volinist, the celloist, the drummer, the conductor... oh the conductor! He was so energetic and animated. Just watching him was entertaining enough. Ahh,  the classicals... I love it.  Brought me back to my childhood.

I looked around and commented to my cousin that more than half the audience has white hair. I didnt' feel out of place at all.  Music always makes me feel right at home. If this is what I get to look forward to when my hair turns all white, I think I'd be pretty content.





Dressed up in nylons and a winter twead skirt


No comments:

Post a Comment