Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chinese New Year Eve

It's Chinese New Year's Eve! Gong Hay Fat Choy!

I'm enjoying a batch of "Loh Bak Goh" (Radish Cakes) that Auntie Irene made and brought over.  Homemade goods that gets personally delivered ... oh, I feel the love. :) And yum!



I wouldn't say my family is super traditional. We do things more for the fun of it than anything. We do have a couple Chinese New Year's decorations that we put out every year. Just for the festive mood. Just to brighten up the house. Just to make the slow part of winter go by faster.

We have the red circular dish filled with sweets. We have pamelos and lots of oranges. And my grandma will most likely wear something red and cook a few vegetarian dishes. We don't really know the superstitious meaning behind things (at least my parents, my brother and I don't). But it's all fun. Even though I do think there usually isn't much at those festivities and celebrations in those Chinese malls, I still secretly like popping in once a year with my parents to check out the atmosphere.

Now, speaking of traditions... time to get me some red envelopes!

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone.


My friend, Patsy, made the red envelope fish years ago. We still hang them every year.

A "tune hup". Each compartment filled with sweets and goodies.

1 comment:

  1. aw... glad to know I'm kinda spending CNY every year at your place =) lemme know if u ever want more fish

    ReplyDelete