Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Easter, Everyone!

It's Easter Sunday!

I'm trying not to report my days with what I'm doing every hour but somedays, there are more than one simple pleasures.

I've only heard of Bosa Foods a couple times and have always wondered what it is like. If you haven't already gotten the sense or don't know me, I do have a not-so-secret obsession with supermarkets. It all started when I lived with roommates, had a kitchen I could call my own (or shared with roommates), and worked right next door to two large supermarkets. One (Planet Organic) sold only organic foods (which, yes, taught me a whole new world of expensive must-try items), and two (Thirfty's) sold fresh produce and had everything under the sun that I needed. I would purposely plan an hour after work to stroll through each and every aisle in both stores. It was my past time. My highlight of the day. I didn't care that I didn't have a car back then. I would be prepared with a large MEC backpack. I've carried a 10 lb watermelon on my back and walked uphill for 20 minutes to get home. I simply loved it. (Well, maybe not so much carrying that 10 pounder... but I took it as exercise and the watermelon in the summer was so worth it).

I no longer work by a supermarket so I don't go quite as often, but on my days off, you'll quite often find me combing through a supermarket just for the heck of it and not because I needed anything. Allie and I have made it part of a day's event to scan through an Urban Fare. Likewise with my brother. So, I guess it's no surprise to me (although I do wonder what exactly it was that tipped him off) that Ming had an inkling that I'd like to check out Bosa Foods. Out of all places in this city, he wanted to show me a supermarket. But go figure.

I've heard about Bosa Foods, but have never been. For some reason, I always thought it was far. Like Coquitlam far. (Yes Connie, Coquitlam is far). Ming had mentioned it a few weeks ago that he'd take me there. So, finally remembering it yesterday, I asked him, "So when are you taking me to Bosa Foods?".

"Tomorrow?".

I was totally geared up. Call it crazy that I get excited over supermarkets. So, after that whole speel and prep, I am so sad to report that of all days, we had to choose Easter Sunday. It was CLOSED. I know... what's the big dilly-o. It will re-open another day. It's a friggin' supermarket. I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to a kid finding out Disneyland is closed...

... or would I?

I was looking forward to perhaps one of their yummy grilled paninis (I've read reviews online), but we ended up having Nando's for lunch. Which isn't a bad consolation.

I seriously think I can be deeply affected by the weather. It was a bit dreary today with light rain... and I was tired. Or lazy. Sleepy. I wanted to crawl back into bed mid afternoon.

My mom and I went over to Auntie Irene's a bit early so I could catch the hockey game with a bunch of my cousins. The hockey game? I won't even go there.

Every year, although I'm not religious (and not saying that you'd have to be either), my family always does a big turkey meal for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  For the longest time, we spent most of these holidays with my dad's side of the family. Auntie May did all the big feasts. Now that Auntie May has somewhat retired her kitchen of these festivities, we learn that my mom's side also loves the big turkey meals too. For me, I embrace it all. I absolutely love it. After growing up having it all, I can't imagine not celebrating these holidays. It's an excuse for the families to get together. It's an excuse to eat a lot of good food. And it's an excuse for tradition.

We used to have a very proper Easter dinner at Auntie May's where we all used nice Chinas sometimes and everyone sat around a large dining  table while we had quiet conversations catching up with each other. Tonight, all the cousins grabbed their plate of food and plopped ourselves infront of the TV shouting at the hockey game while stuffing our faces with turkey ... and the aunties sat upstairs in the kitchen gabbing. Nothing ever stays the same. We've all gotten much older.

But, I still love and enjoy our togetherness and closeness. To me, that is always a good enough reason to make a big deal out of the holidays.

Happy Easter, everyone. :)

1 comment: