Friday, April 8, 2011

Symphony #2 and Suika

A beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful sunny day on my day off. Oh the rarity!

I slept most of my morning away. After lunch, I headed over to Oakridge. I haven't stepped in a mall in ages. Not to shop anyway. A few weeks ago, I had browsed a pair of MK shoes that I liked and I've been thinking about them since. I had bought a pair of black flats back in February and surprisingly (or not so surprisingly), they're already ruined. They were no lowsy brand either. Clarkes for sale at $50. Lasted only the 2 months. That is by far the shortest a pair of shoes has lasted me. 

So, I just had to get another pair of black flats. For going out. Yes, had to.


I was being creepy and was trying to take a photo of the couple on the right. Older couple holding hands. Cute.
That started my shopping itch. After Oakridge, I went to Metrotown. It wasn't so much the mall hopping that I wanted to do. I think I purposely chose a long stretch of road to drive... so I can bask in the warm sun and feel the breeze with my windows rolled down.  With my music playing, I was content. I missed the 30% off customer appreciation day at RW&Co. but I managed to get a shirt there for 40% off the sale price. Nice!

Went home and took my time getting ready for the night's event. Our second pick for the Symphony Sampler! I was especially excited about this one because of its broadway theme. There's ought to be some classics. This was also another excuse for me to wear my heels. Plus nice trousers that I don't even wear to work.




Love my black patent pumps. With these, I was just as tall as my 5'7"-5'8" cousin in flats.

The symphony was AMAZING. Absolutely amazing. It was both (surprisingly) funny and entertaining. I particularly loved the trombones during their piece of The Music Man. The female singer was so crazy talented with a voice so pure and beautiful. They played Wicked, My Fair Lady, and of  course, Phantom of the Opera. We couldn't stop talking about how awesome the concert was.





Since neither of us had dinner yet, after the show, KDer suggested we eat at Suika. I keep hearing about this place. I've been wanting to try it for some time.

To be honest, I loved the spaciousness and the atmosphere of the restaurant, but the food was just okay for me.


The chandelier is made out of sake bottles.

We had tomato kimchi. Which was exactly that... tomato with kimchi sauce. KDer loved it because it's refreshing. I agree that it was... but I guess I'm just not a big fan of kimchi.



We also had a "shaken" sashimi salad. The waitress brought over all the ingredients in a jar and shook it up infront of us. Hence, shaken. She then poured it all out into a bowl. I found it over-dressed. KDer loved that it was super dressed. So, I guess it depends on what you like. I have to say though after having different sashimi/seafood salads over the week, the best I've had is still at Sushiholic, then GMen, then Suika. (Wow, I've had a lot of Jap this week). Sushiholic had the best dressing and a lot more sashimi pieces in variety and quantity.



This was one of my favorte dishes. The bimbimbap. Yum. The only thing is, I think the one at the gastown Guu is better.



We also had the ebi mayo, grilled sable fish and the corn kaarage (which I think they ended up giving us the wrong thing). Neither I would rave about. Sorry.



What I did really enjoy was their desserts. One of my coworkers had raved about their tofu pudding with plum jelly. And KDer loves everything green tea so we went with the matcha brulee as well. I liked them both. The matcha was a bit too frozen but the matcha flavour was so strong and creamy. The tofu pudding was packed with almond flavour which was nicely balanced with the sourness of the plum jelly. Both pretty good.




When you're with KDer, yes, two people can eat that much! Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment