Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Trip Down South

We've been talking about making a trip down south for some time now and I don't think we could have picked a better day to go. The weather was perfect.

Someone didn't know how to set his alarm clock so we didn't set off as early as planned but it was all good. We knew how to get to the border but someone had to choose the only route that required Google Map and a GPS. Decided to take a joy ride before the trip down!

We ended up at Truck Crossing and had to wait 50 minutes at the border. While in the lineup, Ming said in prep for the questions by the border guards, "Okay, how do we know each other? School." Oh great. Now we're going to lie at the border. "Less questions, less explaining," he said.  We didn't end up getting that question anyway.

It was such a beaaauuuutiful day. Although it sprinkled a bit now and then, for the majority, the sun came out to play. It was a nice drive along the I-5. Green grass and trees. The blue, blue skies. The cumulus clouds. Absolutely stunning day. I took these photos through the car window. Clean windows.



I love the clouds.

I entertained myself by looking at the hair colour of the drivers in all the cars we were passing by. I started to count them... six cars in a row all had white hair. (Wasn't deliberate. It had something to do with whatever we were talking about in the car.)  I'm not sure if Ming was even listening to my rambling about the fair number of old people on the road or secretly wondering why I'm so weird.


On the road. Still loving those clouds and the beautiful blue sky.
Those hands weren't always on the wheel. "Look! Driving with no hands."

We reached the Premium Outlets in about an hour after the border. Boy, it was busy. The parking lot showed a sign of mad shoppers as cars were strewn everywhere. They weren't even parked in proper spots. Nuts. But we were off to do some serious shopping!

Ming had a whole slew of short jokes. "You should wear heels. I can't find you!". (I guess I was hidden behind the racks and shelves.) Well, maybe if he used his height to his advantage, he would look over and far and beyond the shelves. I am not one to wear heels while shopping!  I was looking at a pair of shorts he was buying and had said "Those look super long. Are they suppose to go down to your ankles??". He of course replied, "If you wore them, yes. For me, it reaches my knees." Bleh.

3.5 hours later, we were DONE. Very productive we were. We both did an equal amount of damage.  An early Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to me! Oh, so horrible. (Will post my finds in my next post).

We ate at Olive Garden. After we were done eating, we figured we'd sit for a while and chat...  but our waitress must have come back to our table a gazillion times to see how we we doing. I suppose it was just service. Likewise, when we were in Home Depot, every employee we passed by greeted us with a big 1000 watt smile and asked us if they could help us. I felt like I was in a Home Depot commercial.


Our fuel for the day.



After a few more other shops... like Best Buy (shopping with a boy afterall), Kohl's, Nike Store (another one), Lulu,... we headed home. The weather continued to hold up.  It was another hour wait at the border coming home. The sun was setting. The view over the water was gorgeous. There were more short jokes to follow. I was trying to take a random photo of the sunset with my camera out of the sunroof. Ming of course had to throw in if he were to take the photo, he would get the sunset. If I took the photo, I would probably get the roof of the car or the car next to us. Well...



THERE! (Although the photo really doesn't do it justice).




Waiting at the border.


Productive shopping trip - a SUCCESS!

Another plus, first road trip together, and Ming and I didn't kill each other. Okay, jokes aside... thanks for driving and well... putting up with me. I guess I had my doubts but it did seem to turn out to be the shorter route. I nag constantly but you know why I do. You hold doors and you hold bags... Winnie's right, you can be a gentleman. Anyway, thanks for an awesome day.

And that is all the "nice" you will get out of me. Put down those cheetos!  

No comments:

Post a Comment