Tuesday, May 3, 2011

For My 30th

Yes, I'm turning the big 3-0 this year. But being practically the baby of my group of friends, that means all my friends will go first! Yessssss.

I normally keep my birthdays pretty low key. I've spent the last few birthdays out of town. My friends, though, have managed to make a big deal out of my birthdays with simple and elaborate surprise birthday parties. Looking back in just the past decade, surprise birthday parties... I've had five. I love them all and I'll remember them for years and years more.

I remember the year they rented out a gym. I was into volleyball at that time. I thought it was yet another one of our regular gym nights. When I got there, the gym was dark. The lights were turned off. Then in the darkness, I saw a bit of flickering light. From candles. The candles lit up just enough for me to see vaguely the faces of my friends. They all sang happy birthday. There were balloons. And then we played some volleyball.

I remember the year the then special guy made me believe we were delivering something to a restaurant for a friend of his who worked there. Little did I know that he had organized it with one of my best friends that all my closest friends would be there for a surprise birthday dinner.

And what about the year that I went away to Asia? All of my friends each made a mini video clip wishing me a happy birthday while I was away. They handed this video to my travel buddy who then played it for me on my birthday while we were in Singapore.

Although this wasn't a surprise, one of my friends cooked me a full several-course roasted chicken meal with all its trimmings one year. It may have been the best meal I've ever had in my life. Only because, as cheesy as it sounds... I totally felt the love with each and every tasty bite. I was beaming.

I say I keep my birthdays low key but my friends always make me feel so special. So, in turn, maybe this year for my 30th, I should give them a break and do the dirty work myself ... and let me do something special for me. What do ya think?

A lot of people seem to have a bucket list that they're madly trying to go through before they hit 30. Or, they may have a big plan of something up their sleeves for their 30th birthday. Mini getaways. Trips. Bungee jumping. Skydiving. So many ideas thrown out there.

For me, I don't normally have anything in mind for my birthday... but for my 30th, maybe this time I will.

There is one thing I've always had in mind that I wanted to do.  I'm not one to put timelines on things, but if I had to pick something I'd like to do before/for my 30th, it would be this.

It's a bit crazy. For me. But I have emailed a person of interest to help me with this and asked whether this would even be possible. And today, I got a reply.

It is possible. Well, I guess anything's possible.

Eek!

I'm excited. 

And scared.

But you'll only know what it is if you keep following my blog. I'll blog about it when it happens. Could be anytime from now till my 30th birthday. Don't bother even asking... because I won't tell!

1 comment: