Sunday, January 2, 2011

Lemon Fresh



I made frosted lemon cookies to bring to my cousin's New Year's Eve party last night. You can definitely tell by the frosting job that they're home made. I made them a bit more "rustic". I couldn't find a microplane at the last minute, so I had to use a fork to zest a lemon for those sprinkles on top of the frosting. Zesting a lemon with a fork is no easy feat, I tell ya. Nonetheless, regardless of their appearance, they taste very lemony good. If I could throw in a cheesy metaphor, I'd hope that in this new year, any sourness (like the lemon) can be toned down and maybe even complimented with sweetness (like the icing). So, if you're given lemons, hey, make some frosted lemon cookies! These cake-like cookies come with a fresh citrus flavour and are so easy to make.

So here is the recipe (2009 Taste of Homes Best Loved Cookies & Bars cookbook) :

Frosted Lemon Cookies

Yield : About 3 dozens (so the book says. I got about 2 dozens... if that).

7 tbsps butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

ICING:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tbsps lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

  • In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Combine honey, yogurt, lemon peel and lemon extract. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with honey mixture, beating after each addition.
  • Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. (I used the all-handy parchment paper). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (I found baking them any longer than 8 minutes would cause the bottom to go too brown). Remove to wire racks.
  • In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Brush over the warm cookies; sprinkle with lemon peel. (I couldn't find a brush so I used the back of a spoon hence the uneven frosting).
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment