Sunday, January 23, 2011

Spent The Night At George's


When night falls, there are a lot of options. Usually, mine is to stay at home in my comfy home clothes. On the couch. Wrapped in a blanket. With a good book. Or a movie. Maybe just my laptop. Music in the background. And a warm Christmas in a Cup. But, usually of course doesn't mean always. The rarity of a full weekend off makes it more tough to get out on a Saturday night. But then again, tough doesn't mean I don't.

So, this Saturday night, I put on my heels and went out with a couple of my friends to Yaletown and hung out at George's. A lounge with few seats, great drinks, and even better bartenders. We got there at the best time. Right around 10pm. A few people were just leaving after watching the hockey game, but most decided to stay. We got in right before the line-up started to form at the door.

Once we got in, we went straight to the bar before we found a seat. Then, the night really started to.. hum......

Before we knew it, (or was it more ... before *I* knew it), it was one drink... then two... then three.... then .....

Gosh, I can't remember the last time I drank.... that much. (And it wasn't even much!). Where has my tolerance gone? Even my friend, Allie, who used to get drunk on half a drink outdrank me. And where does the time go? First we were talking about this, then we were talking about that... then the next thing, I don't remember what we were talking about or if  we were even talking. Or just laughing. But the lounge was ready to close.

Somehow, the buzz didn't hit me until it was time to leave. Oh great, I thought. Now I have to walk.

Right before we left, Allie pulls me to the bar. "We're going to have a shot with the bartender!". Are you nuts??

What I do remember was the bartender first denying the shots because the bar was officially closed.... but then he proceeded to whip out three shot glasses.

The rest... well. The sound of my friend dry-heaving, then a lot of laughing, and the rest to your imagination. Good times.

(Oh by the way, the drink called "20th century" is an old one but a pretty good one).




No comments:

Post a Comment