Thursday, January 13, 2011

Superfood Quinoa

The first time I was introduced to quinoa was probably about a decade ago when I went with a couple friends to Foundation, a vegetarian restaurant in town. It doesn't have much flavour on its own. If you cook it in a way to enhance its own natural flavour,  it might have a bit of a nutty note. It is high in protein and contains all of the essential amino acids. It is also a good source of fibre, magnesium and iron. Because of its unusual trait of a complete protein, its demand and popularity has been increasing.

It wasn't until a week ago when I saw it in my coworker's lunch that I also decided to make it myself. I was told it was easy. After reading the how-to-cook instructions, it did seem so. The only thing is, what do I do with it afterwards? What would I put with it? When I'm making lunch for work, it usually contains a bit of brown rice, a small piece of meat and one or two vegetables. I decided I'd sub the brown rice with the quinoa. But still, steamed broccoli, grilled chicken and plain quinoa didn't sound too fun. Well, what I ended up with isn't that much more fun... but it certainly didn't taste too shabby either.

Whenever in doubt, I always add corn. I could add corn to everything. I love corn. Last year, I met a boy who does the same thing. At that time, I found it amusing that someone else loved corn just as much and would add it to everything too! But adding corn to everything isn't that unusual I suppose. ( By the way, just like Henrik Sedin, I also set my clock two hours ahead so I can wake up and say to myself, "It's still early! I can sleep in!". My brother ever so kindly points out that he's sure that Henrik and I are not the only two people who does that...) So I guess I'm not that special after all. Anyway...

I sauteed some diced onions before I browned the corn a little. Then, I mixed it in with cooked quinoa (cooked according to instructions) with a bit of salt, pepper, and cumin. Topped it off with some shredded green onion. Wha-la!



Prepping to cook the quinoa. Generally, the quinoa found in North America has already been through a process of removing the outer bitter coating. Otherwise, you would have to soak it for 15 minutes and draining it before cooking.



Every instructions I've read said to fluff with a fork. I of course tried using a spoon to see if it would really break up the quinoa (since you can use a spoon for rice), but yes... there is a reason for every instruction given. Fork definitely works better.




Prepping the onion and corn.



Mixing it in with the quinoa adding some salt, pepper, cumin and green onion.



The finished product.



My brother's lunch.












No comments:

Post a Comment