Saturday, January 29, 2011

No Scalpel Down My Throat, Thank You Very Much

Wow, a second visit to the doctor's this year. I normally don't go very often at all. Anyway, my throat was more unbearable than my banged up foot, and after a whole week of not much changing, I had a feeling it wasn't a cold or flu. I was waiting for the running nose, the cough, the congestion, the aches and pains maybe, but no, none of that. So, I got the tongue depressor and the light going down my throat.

"Ah-ha, I see it." He was digging and pushing my tongue knowing he was looking for something with my description of a super duper sore throat.

"There is a spot on your tonsils. A pustule. That would eventually turn into tonsilitis".

I added my two cents, "Antibiotics?".

"This would make it a staph infection. Think I'll go with Clox."

"It can't go away on its own?".

"Haha.... you can wait until it abcesses."

"Ugh."

"And then we'd have to stick a scalpel down your throat to drain it."

"Yah, no thanks."

"The problem is that it's so far down that you'd probably gag."

"Ugh."

"Or we can take a hook....".

"Okay, it's okay. I'll take the antibiotics."

"Okay, I'd like to give you Clox 500 but I'm afraid you might not handle it."

"Really? Isn't 500 a regular adult dose?." Why can't I handle it?

"Yah.... so let me give you 250. You know the drill. QID for 10 days."



I gotta say, four times a day on an empty stomach is pretty hard.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I can't believe the doctor talks like that...pretty funny. Eeeks...how did you get that infection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. only because we know each other... he's the doctor right upstairs from work so we talk to him all the time.

    don't know how I got it. how does one's tonsils get infected?

    ReplyDelete