Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Bike Ride While Preppin' Dinner

While passing a grocery market on the way home from lunching with ex-coworkers and running errands, I had a sudden urge to cook turkey leg for dinner tonight. 

Turkey leg has become my go-to comfort dinner. It's easy to make and absolutely delicious. It's healthy to boot. It reminds me of those special family occasions when the roasting aroma fills the kitchen. It brings a kind of cozy and warmth, and I love it. I pair it with veggies of different hues to make it extra colourful.

I brined the legs as usual to enhance its flavours and allow it to trap its moisture. Brining with a 1/2 cup of salt and enough water to cover them. While brining, I prep the veggies. Websites suggest brining for at least two hours, but I find even an hour is good. I shove the turkey leg into a pan and then into the oven. Set the temperature to 350 degrees and that was it. Set it and forget it. My kind of cooking. 

As the turkey was roasting, my brother and I went out for a bike ride. Made it across the city and I got owned by one super steep hill. Just gives me something to conquer another day. My knee and ankle were complainin' a bit during the ride, but nothing I couldn't work through. Rode back home just in time to take out the turkey legs. After an hour and 45 minutes of roasting, it was done. And it all tasted like I slaved away at the kitchen all day. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it and that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment