Sunday, January 15, 2012

Serenity




After a long week of work, finally a day off today. Friends were either sick or busy, so I took the opportunity of a sunny day to go for a long walk by myself. 

There has been a light dusting of snow the past couple of nights, leaving the grounds covered in a blanket of white. The cold air against my face, the sun shining down, and the snow crunching beneath my boots... I couldn't be happier. 

I greeted my neighbours as I walked pass them and continued up the block. The streets were quiet. All I could hear were the birds chirping in a distance, and the couple talking to each other taking their stroll on the other side of the road.

I turned the corner and continued to walk. An elderly lady walked by me and said hi. I said hello back. We exchanged smiles.

I went by a track and saw diligent people doing their exercise. I'd join the runners if running in the cold doesn't induce an uncontrollable cough. I chose to stay mainly on the quieter streets, enjoying the serenity of my neighbourhood. I could smell the fragrance of someone's dinner cooking in their kitchen. Every stranger that I passed smiled or greeted me with a hello.  

My phone text-message alert went off a few times during my walk. One was to help a friend answer a drug-related question. I'm that pharmacist-on-the-go. Second, was a friend just informing me he was enjoying some salsa I had gave him that I bought from the States. And thirdly, was a friend answering my text about vacation. We chatted via text messages about Spain and upcoming baby showers and celebrations. I felt like she was on this stroll with me. We would be doing just the same. Chatting about everyday things. It reminds me, even when I'm by myself, I'm not alone. 

With every breath of cool air that I took, I was thinkin', this is good for me. I was content. 

An hour and a half later, the sky was getting darker and the air was getting chillier. And as I was returning home, walking that last block, I thought to myself... this is the reason I'm not ready to move. I love my neighbourhood. I loved that every person I walked by exchanged a hello or a smile. I love the quiet tree-lined streets. I love that I'm far from hustle and bustle. Of course, I'd dream to get a house, but that seems to have to come with a husband or another way of getting a double income ... considering how expensive Vancouver is. That's a topic for another day. 

Right now, just enjoying my moment of serenity.


No comments:

Post a Comment