Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Thank You, M'Dears

So... before I go on and continue my update on my Victoria trip from last month, I just wanted to say a sincere "Thank You" to everyone who's been truly super helpful since my silly accident that's been causing me a little bit of pain, a lot of muscle tightness, and a great deal of inconvenience.

When it happened, I was lucky to be with two nurses, Bran and Dan, who kicked into nurse-gear, and whisked me off the floor and moved me to a bench. One stayed with me to help calm my nerves, as I was, at that moment, in a fair amount of pain. While the other ran back to the hotel to get me ice. Within several more minutes, I was moved to the car. My leg was elevated and iced. A frozen custard was shoved into my hands. It was to make me feel better. I felt a whole lot better with the amount of care I was getting... but was still majorly worried 'cause I could barely step out of the car to make a few steps.

Somehow, I made it back into the hotel room. Even though with spoiled plans... Dan and Bran were in good spirits about ordering in. We shared a good meal on one of the beds while watching Myth Busters. And to tell you the truth, it was the best meal of the trip. Not because the food was acceptably mediocre, but because I felt like I was in good company.

The next morning, my leg was so tight, I could barely bend it. The ice effect must have worn off, and I was still in a great deal of pain. Bran even had to help me put on my sock, because bending my knee wasn't comfortable. Their help and still cheery spirits kept me in good spirits, so I wanted to continue the trip as planned.

We wanted to try Din Tai Fung in Bellevue. The closest parking lot was one building down and across the street. Looking at my destination from afar, which isn't far at all, I felt like I was about to run a long distance race. It wasn't gonna be easy. Then that "this is so tough" feeling sunk in when I realized that crossing the street and walking down the block was gonna be so tough. In the end, Dan picked up the car and drove me down that quarter block. I felt like a loser but at the same time, was thankful that I didn't have to hobble too much.

When I got home, I went to see the doctor the very next day. My dad insisted on driving me there, even though I told him my right leg was still good and I could drive. My dad had planned to ask me if I wanted to go to the Richmond Night Market with him that night (before he knew I injured myself), and the defeat in his voice made me feel bad that I hadn't really spent any of my time off with him. So, I toughed it out and hobbled for a bit around the Night Market that night. Just so he could. That night, when I got home... my ankle was as big as a tennis ball, and my knee was twice the size. Hmm, bad move maybe.

Kat had texted me to ask if she could help me buy grocery (since I shouldn't be hobbling around), which I thought was so nice of her. I declined her offer 'cause I cannot imagine sitting at home any longer doing not much of anything. I needed a reason to go out. And since going for a run or bike ride is totally out of the question, the least I could do is my own grocery.

When I decided to go pick up my groceries, Ming offered to drive, even again, after I said I could still drive with my good leg. And since Ming offering a ride didn't come with a bribe like it normally does (ie. I pay for food if he drives)... I thought that was mighty sweet of him.

These are just examples of some of the nice gestures this week. Wow, I should milk this injury for all its worth!

I'm kidding.

I think I'm getting better. I am now able to hobble a lot faster, and can almost walk at regular speed. I'm truly grateful for all the help and care. Thank you. You guys rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment