Monday, March 21, 2011

Big Decisions

My posts have been a bit sporadic lately because I've been busy humming and haaing over making that big leap in purchasing my first home. I've been looking and following the market for three to four years now. And over that time, prices have shot so high that I sometimes wonder if it's even possible for me. One of my friends had done the research in stats and told me that my profession is ranked in the top 10% of the highest paying jobs in B.C. Sad, isn't it. Even with that, I can barely afford anything in Vancouver. It is ridiculously pricey.

Well, after almost 3 weeks of humming and haaing, I've decided not to make that leap just yet. The good thing is, through all this time, I've made an offer, visited the banks, and talked to a lot of people with the experience... which puts me at a much better position at buying a place when I am truly ready. I could imagine a pretty good life at the place I was looking at... but in the end, there are also a lot of factors that broke the deal because they're simply more important than me wanting what I would consider a luxurious life. That sounds silly, doesn't it... I'm not saying that I don't deserve it.  But right now is just not the time. Plus, my life is pretty good already.

My mom asked if I'm disappointed. First they're worried that I'm not financially capable and now she's worried that I'm in a major funk of disappointment. Boys and girls, it really takes a whole lot to disappoint me these days. Not buying a place right now doesn't mean I won't or can't some time later. This was all my decision. Of course I have my reasons to not go through with it... so if I had made the leap, with reasons not to... then would that not be more disappointing? Plus, to me... nothing is more important than health. If health doesn't change, then nothing about it is that big of a deal to me.

I wrote this year off as a spending year. For a bit there, I thought the house would be it. The big spend! But since I've realized that it is not, that just means I'm going to be shopping for some...

Well, you'll know when I get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment