Saturday, March 5, 2011

Good Start

After what seemed like a long dark tunnel, there's always light. I'm referring to my long, exhausting week of work.  But, work is work. All the whining and complaining that I may do about how tough a work week can be sometimes, I guess it's only in hopes that someone would understand what you've gone through. But, nobody ever really knows. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets exhausted from work. (Although being exhausted is an understatement this week). At least, at the end of it all, I'm given a little break. This is the start to my 3-day weekend!

I started my 3-day weekend early. Honestly, by the second last hour of my shift, my head had turned into mush. I got off a little earlier just to give myself some time before I met up with friends.  Sometimes I forget what a difference it is just to give yourself a moment. My face was all flushed partially from running around doing five different things at a time in the pharmacy and partially because it's cold outside and they jacked up the heat to accomodate the customers. Even with splashing cold water on my face, I couldn't seem to cool down. Ah well, I thought. It's cold outside.

Dinner plans were made at a restaurant just across the street from work. Yummy malaysian style food. Pretty much a hole in the wall. But the food is really ... really good. Ming had eaten there last week and enjoyed it so much that he craved it this week. Same thing with his friend so she came too. Ming texted me in the morning telling me that his friend was also bringing two friends. Hmm, now I don't know half the people, I thought. But hey, more people to share different dishes with. Plus, I was walking into work, already mentally preparing myself for chaos... I had no time to even really care who I was going to have dinner with.

So, after giving myself a half hour break after work, I walked over to the restaurant. The cold air was refreshing. Ming arrived second. Soon after, his friend arrived with her two friends.

"OH MY GOSH!!!!!". We both yelled at the same time. I know one of Ming's friend's friend. It was Pat!

"Hey, she told me we'd be having dinner with other people but I didn't know I'd be having dinner with you!", Pat said.

I can't remember the last time I saw Pat. Hmm, let me think. Elliott's summer BBQ last year? Regardless, it's been a while so it was really nice catching up. I probably could have gone on forever if I didn't start feeling bad that we were with other people too.

This world is definitely small. But it's certainly great. We all started off as strangers at one point. Somehow somewhere, we've met one another (through work, through school, through friends of friends, and randomly through the internet) and were able to share a dinner together tonight. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

The world got even smaller when I heard who Ming's friend is working for with her new job. A company with people who are also friends of my friends. Wedding photography business is big but not that big... you're bound to know someone.

Good food. Good conversations. Laughs. Great company (yes, I'm counting you too). What more could you ask for in a night after a long day's work?

A good start to my 3-day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment