Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hawaii 2007

After looking at my upcoming brutal schedule at work, I started daydreaming of sunny vacations.

These photos were taken back in 2007. It was one transitional year where I went from living on my own (well, with a roommate) and feeling stable and comfortable... to moving back to my parents and re-learning to live with four other people and sharing space. I left my comfortable job with loving coworkers who became my second family... to restarting it all over again. I left my daily routines that I made for myself to losing that balance when I came home. Don't get me wrong... I moved back for family and friends. And they're a big part of me. No regrets. But, after a whole year of feeling a bit lost, I remember sitting at home on the couch with my laptop and without much thought, I went on expedia and booked a trip to Hawaii. For the following week. I looked up from my computer and said to my mom, "I'm going to Hawaii next week."

I was emailing back and forth with a friend who was living in Japan at the time. We decided to meet up in Hawaii. But, whichever day she chose to fly in to Hawaii, I decided I'd go before her to have some time to myself. And that's what I did. My parents drove me to the airport... obviously worried that I wasn't going with even a friend this time... (and forgetting my passport on the table while filling out papers at the airport didn't put them anymore at ease). I was glad to leave.

I sat between a man and a woman on the plane. The man was with the family across the aisle. I remember filling out this survey asking us how many times have we been to Hawaii. I watched him circle the "10+" option. The woman next to me started talking to me. "Is this your first time?". She must have looked at my sheet.

"Yes".

She said, "You'll love it. I'm from Hawaii. I'm just away for work." We ended up chatting for the rest of the flight. Mostly her prepping me for her homeland.

Sometimes, I wonder why people always take a photo out of a window of the plane. They generally look the same. But as I arrived at Hawaii... this is what I saw out the window. It was already amazing. The water so blue. The trees so green.




This was taken with a telephoto from the top of Diamond Head.


The afternoon I spent by myself at the Honolulu Zoo was one of the most memorable and best afternoons I've had. It was absolutely beautiful and peaceful in there.


Also taken in the Honolulu Zoo. I knew nothing about my brand new dslr at that time, but somehow I got the grassy background to fade out.

Also taken in the Honolulu Zoo.

On the same day, they had an art show right outside the zoo. So I checked it out. I love browsing art.


I ended up talking to a local artist and bought a couple paintings from him. Everything was so beautiful. Hard to choose.






This was one of many favorite photos from Hawaii. I didn't process this photo. The sunset was that vibrant. Sunsets there were absolutely amazing.

Hanauma Bay.


Snorkelling here was great.


I stayed across the street from Waikiki Beach. I spent the nights sitting on these benches facing the dark. It was quiet but people were still roaming the streets. Peaceful.
In the end, even though I wanted to be on my own, all I could think while I was there was wishing my family and friends were with me. To share in the view. The place. The experience.  All that time I wanted to be away on my own to organize my life in my head made me realize that everything is the way it should be.



1 comment:

  1. Great blog Amie. I can't seem to fall asleep, but your stunningly beautiful photos and story is reassuring and has given me a new destination to look forward to visiting.

    :)

    ReplyDelete