Saturday, June 11, 2011

Early Celebration

In the midst of the Stanley Cup Finals, I remember that I will not be in town next weekend, which is also the weekend for Father's Day. So, I made the plan to take my dad and the family out for dinner a week earlier.

I was a bit lost at thinking up a good place to go to but eventually came up with The Market. I've been there a couple of times with friends. Definitely on the pricey side but food was enjoyable. I still remember the short ribs from the previous visit, and since my dad loves his meat, I decided to have him try it.

I knew it would be a bit fancier place and my family isn't all into that fancy schmancy somewhat uptight scene, but I thought... who cares. We all wore our jeans and a proper shirt (which was underdressed compared to most there) 'cause I find making a big deal out of what we wear would probably make my parents feel more uncomfortable. Which in turn would just kill the whole experience. So, as long as we're all clean and decent... who cares.

The thing about going to such places too... I normally get the whole "Why are you spending so much money?" talk. Or, the "any other restaurant is just as good" talk. And I don't disagree with them. At the same time, why can't we? Not like we eat like this everyday. The good thing is, lately, they haven't complained. Instead, just enjoying it for what its worth.

My dad ordered this foie gras appetizer. He was so desperate to have my mom try it because she's never tried it before. To be honest, I don't like foie gras. I've had it before and I don't get the hype. My mom loved it though... the richness and its taste. My dad and I had the short ribs and my mom and my brother had the halibut. We had a couple of their special sodas. And then we ordered two desserts to share at the end. Oh, and we had truffle mashed potatoes. Love truffle.

All in all, a wonderful experience. Next time, we'll go to a $5 burger joint. The experience will be just as great. From time to time though, it's okay to treat ourselves. The best part is not to say we've been to an expensive restaurant or even that we've tried foie gras and truffle... but that as a family, we had a good time. All its uniqueness will just make us remember this occasion more.

No comments:

Post a Comment