Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Stanley Cup Finals - Game 7

I still remember the last time I watched a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with the Vancouver Canucks playing against New York Rangers. It was 1994 and I was a 12-year-old in grade 7. I never really followed hockey (and still don't unless if it's the playoffs) but all the boys did. I knew it was a big deal and everyone was glued to the TV for every game leading up to it.

I remember the boy sitting across from me at school had Canucks stickers decorating his Le-Kit pencil case. I remember my brother asking my parents to take him to the mall so he could pick up one of those white towels that everyone else at the game seem to have. I remember that night. We sat only a couple feet away from the TV, and both my brother and I took turns waving that white towel every time the Canucks scored. That game ended in a disappointing loss for the Canucks and the cup went to the Rangers.

17 years later, another Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals for the Vancouver Canucks. I wondered if today would be the day for the Canucks to make history and win the cup. I didn't want to miss it. I took a vacation day from work and was prepared to park myself at a pub for the rest of the afternoon before the game started.

Bran and I first checked out St. Augustine's on Commercial Drive only to be rudely treated by their staff, so without hesitation, we got up and left to go back to good ol' Toby's. We got prime seats right infront of the big projection screen. We were all excited yet nervous. So nervous that some of my friends couldn't sleep. Some couldn't eat. (They're nuts!) You get so wrapped up in this moment. The game had already started when my brother also joined us and we had to tip the security guard at the door to let him in. It was a full house at the pub.



We opted to stay away from downtown... the streets there were insanely packed. It was like the Olympics all over again. Not that I was there but it was all over the live feeds on TV.

We cheered, we yelled... but in the end, the Canucks seemed to have lost their fire. The Bruins took the Stanley Cup with a 4-0 win. Not one goal for us to cheer! It was definitely disappointing. But... I'm still a believer of the Canucks. Thanks for the awesome playoff run. They made it this far! That was one fun journey. And honestly, I'm glad to get my life back. No more posts about pubs and pub food and rushing off to watch a game after work.



The people at the pub disbanded with a bit of solemnness but generally still in good spirits. There were already tweets and updates on people's phones that there was a car on fire in the downtown area. It was a beauuutiful sunny evening which I think helped soothed all of our broken hearts.

It wasn't until I got home not long after the game was over that my brother and I watched in horror on TV what was really going on in downtown. A major riot broke out live all over the news. I couldn't believe what happened. They didn't riot because we lost a hockey game. These people purposely wanted to cause trouble. I couldn't imagine... if you supported your city and wishing it to win a hockey game, why would you go around and destroy it? Windows were smashed and people ran in and out of big department stores looting. It was ridiculous. What happened to morals? Bystanders got hurt. Emergency rooms at hospitals were full to the max. I thought I was watching some zombie movie. This can't possibly be happening in our city!

It was sickening. Embarassing to the rest of the world. Absolutely disgusting. I was so angry. This ISN'T our city. This does NOT represent our city. And those people are definitely not Canucks fans.

Hope all those involved get arrested. And if not, watch out for karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment