Sunday, July 24, 2011

Virginia's Retirement

The day has finally come. She did tell me at the beginning of the year that this year would be the year she retires. I believed her but there was also a part of me that kept saying it won't happen anytime soon. Last last Thursday was actually her last day. And that day wasn't without tears.

It isn't just the fact that you work together with someone or that you see them almost everyday that brings a certain kind of closeness. In fact, it could very well have been just once a couple of months. But it's really how you bond with someone that determines how much they really mean to you.

With Virginia, I suppose I never really realized it until her retirement announcement was made. What do you mean I don't get to see you as much anymore? Counting down the weeks till her last day, I kept making the countdown out loud, "Virginia, I only have three more shifts with you."

"Oh Amie, don't say that."

Virginia was like my second mother. She was always interested in what I was doing with my life. In and outside of work. She gave me a million and one books and articles to read when I expressed a little interest in learning to take care of my finances. She gave me books to read when I was wanting to learn about real estate. Anything I wanted to do, she seemed to try to support. Even with my mention of wanting to meet new people, she took the liberty to give my email away to people she thought I might want to meet. (Namely, her friends' sons... which she was hoping to play matchmaker with - Yikes!). She always came into work bubbly and happy and had a million and one things to say and talk about other than work. So... I will indeed miss her so.

On her last day of work, it seemed like just another day. The store threw her a little party, and when asked to say a little something before she leaves, she said "You all have to be smart about your finances. There is no pension plan with this company, so when you leave, they will not give you a cent. So be smart with your money. That's all I have to say. Ok, I'm done." As true as it is, it cracked everyone up.

I was actually counselling a patient when she walked up to me and hugged me. And with tears in her eyes, she said "Goodbye Amie." I was getting all choked up finishing up my counsel while she walked away.

Tonight, a week later, we threw her a retirement dinner at a greek restaurant in North Van called Pasparos Taverna. She knew she was coming out for dinner with the store, but she was not expecting that we would have invited some of her other friends. With each unexpected face she saw, her face grew brighter and brighter in shock. She seemed so overwhelmingly happy.

And even at a night where we're suppose to be celebrating her retirement, one of the first things she said when she came in was, "Amie, I have something for you," and hands me a magazine titled "Money Sense - RETIRE SOONER!". Haha. It cracked me up.

At her retirement, she was more concerned about mine.

She went around taking photos with everyone. We took a picture together too. She looked at the photo and said, "Ahh, that's a nice photo...".

"... now I can take this photo for more matchmaking!".

Aiy, Virginia!

We had fun chatting, eating cake, opening presents, (and even some belly dancing!) before we called it a night. And with teary eyes again, she hugged everyone again and we made promises to go out for lunch or dinner and meet up sometime.

"I'll see you again. I'm coming to your wedding!".

Oh, Virginia.

1 comment:

  1. Lol Virginia cracks me up. I'm sad I won't be able to work with her anymore! Have you heard who is going to take her spot?

    ReplyDelete